If you grow your own marijuana, chances are you want to get the most possible use out of every part of the plant. Many cannabis users who harvest their own marijuana throw away “trim,” including leaves and stems. But did you know that trim can be used to make cannabutter and other cannabis infusions?
While many marijuana trimmings aren’t suitable for smoking, that doesn’t mean they should go to waste completely. In fact, the marijuana plant’s tiny sugar leaves can contain between five and seven percent cannabinoids, while the plant’s larger leaves can contain anywhere from two to three percent cannabinoids.
You can turn your “trash” into hash by using your trimmings to make cannabutter and other edibles.
What Is Cannabutter?
Cannabutter is short for cannabis butter. It’s the most basic building block for most weed edibles. Many cannabis users opt to consume cannabis through edibles rather than by smoking it. Whether you are making pot brownies, hard candy, or another type of weed edible, you will almost certainly need to prepare cannabutter first.
Preparing cannabutter typically takes a few hours. While many cannabis enthusiasts concoct cannabutter using full-fat butter, there are many other viable alternatives today, including non-dairy options like coconut oil, ghee, and other oils.
Can You Make Cannabutter from Trim?
Yes! In fact, it’s preferable to make cannabutter from trim. If you grow your own marijuana plants, you will want to save the cannabis flower for smoking, as this part of the plant has the highest quality concentration of cannabinoids. However, trim (including fan leaves, sugar leaves, and stems) also contains cannabinoids at lower concentrations.
As a result, trim is perfect for making edibles. Instead of using the most precious parts of the plant to make your cannabutter infusions, you should use trim instead.
How to Make Cannabutter from Trim
- Microwave Oven
- Cookie Sheet with Parchment
- Hand Grinder or Mortar and Pestle
- Small or Medium-Sized Pot
- Muslin Bag or Cheesecloth
- 1 cup of butter (can substitute with non-dairy butter, coconut oil, ghee, or other oil)
- 7-10 ounces of cannabis trim
- Decarb the marijuana — The first step in the process is to “decarb” the cannabis trim. Take your cuttings and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Bake the cuttings at about 245 degrees for 30-40 minutes. To ensure that all of the cuttings are fully decarbed, shake the tray at regular intervals, typically every 10 minutes or so.
- Grind — Remove the decarbed cannabis trim from the oven. Using a hand grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the cannabis trim down.
- Melt the butter or oil — Place a small or medium-sized pot on the stove on low heat. Add one cup of water and one cup of butter/non-dairy butter/oil/ghee to the pot. Allow the mixture to simmer until the butter has fully melted.
- Add the marijuana trim — Once the butter has melted, add the trim, and stir it into the mixture.
- Simmer — Allow the mixture to simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours. Return to the stove to stir the mixture at regular intervals. Don’t let the cannabutter mixture come to a boil.
- Strain — To strain the mixture, you’ll need a funnel and a muslin bag or cheesecloth. Strain the mixture through the material and the funnel into a container.
- Refrigerate — Place your cannabutter in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
What Can You Use Cannabutter For?
You can use cannabutter to make virtually any cannabis edible. For example, cannabutter can be used to make:
- Zucchini bread
- Macaroni and cheese
- Pasta sauce
You can also drizzle cannabutter over your favorite snacks and meals, including popcorn and waffles. Some cannabis users even add cannabutter to their coffee.
How LĒVO II Could Help
If you are a cannabis user looking to streamline the process of infusing cannabutter, then LĒVO is the device for you. LĒVO II uses proprietary technology to simplify the process of making cannabutter, from drying to activating to infusing, saving you precious time and money.
Before the first-generation LĒVO device was born, cannabis users generally had two options: buy pre-made cannabis products in stores and dispensaries or complete the infusion process by hand.
Many store-bought cannabis products contain dubious ingredients. In some cases, the ingredients aren’t listed at all, meaning users can never be sure whether they’re getting the high-quality ingredients they deserve.
Conversely, users who wish to exercise control over the ingredients going into their cannabis products are generally forced to complete every step in the infusion process by hand. Manually drying, activating, and infusing cannabis products by hand is a long, laborious, stressful, and messy process.
Enter the LĒVO II device. LĒVO II is the second-generation version of our revolutionary product. It completes every step of the process – drying, activation, and infusion – for you at the touch of a button. While you take care of household chores or enjoy some much-needed downtime, your LĒVO device will create an infusion according to your exact specifications.
In addition to its advanced technological capabilities, LĒVO II features a sleek modern facade that looks great in any kitchen. It comes in five stunning colors, including Licorice Black, Garden Green, Pacific Blue, Paprika Red, and Honey Cream. LĒVO II features a digital screen on the front of the device, where you can adjust both time and temperature settings. LĒVO II is also small enough to fit snugly inside a kitchen cabinet or a pantry if you opt to store it.
Every LĒVO II device comes equipped with a Power Pod, which holds up to eight grams of cannabis or trim. A reservoir for infusions and a silicone stirring stick are also included in your purchase. Once your infusion is complete, all you have to do is wash LĒVO’s interior parts by hand or in the dishwasher.
If you’re ready to consolidate your infusion process, it’s time to find the LEVO machine that is right for you! Whether your needs include making personal batches or larger batches of cannabis infusions for edible creations, LEVO has designed a machine for you. What makes LEVO unique? Learn more here.